In this blog, our weight loss doctors will discuss the signs of PCOS, its side effects, and how it's related to weight gain.
Common Signs Of PCOS
If you have PCOS, the signs usually appear in your late teens or 20s. However, not every woman will experience the same symptoms as others, and even the severity of those symptoms can vary from woman to woman.
Some of the common signs of PCOS are:
- Irregular periods
- Hirsutism (Excessive hair growth. Usually seen on the chest, back, face, and arms)
- High chance of infertility (because of no ovulation or irregular ovulation)
- Extreme hair loss or thin hair
- Weight gain
If you're experiencing any of these characterized signs of PCOS, consult your bioidentical hormone doctor and get your hormones checked.
Why Is Weight Gain One Of The Major Side Effects Of PCOS?
Anyone who's dealing with PCOS experiences insulin resistance in their body. And insulin resistance is why PCOS is directly linked to weight gain.
Insulin resistance is when the pancreas produces insulin in your body, but the cells don't respond. Instead, they form a resistance towards it, and as a result, insulin starts building up in your blood, affecting the function of your ovaries. To maintain sugar levels in your blood, the pancreas produces more insulin, leading to increased androgen production in your body and weight gain. Excessive androgen production triggers weight gain because it throws off the female-to-male hormone ratio of the body. Insulin resistance creates a vicious cycle that contributes to weight gain in your body.
Risks Associated With PCOS
- Type 2 diabetes: The insulin resistance in women with PCOS increases the risk of getting diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.
- Infertility: Being overweight and obese is normally associated with infertility, but the risks are higher in someone with PCOS since it creates an overall hormonal imbalance in the body.
- Endometrial cancer: Since a high estrogen level occurs in women with PCOS, the risk of developing endometrial cancer is 2.7 timesmore in someone dealing with PCOS than in someone who's not.
Get In Touch With Bioidentical Hormone Doctors In New Jersey
If you're experiencing hormonal imbalance or weight loss problems, we offer bioidentical hormone therapy at Anti-Aging Wellness MD. This therapy is based on your blood testing results and the pattern of your symptoms. We also offer integrative medicine services where we deal with detoxification and offer a gut health program.
Schedule a consultation with us today.